Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Xmas Lush

Xmas was simple. Sweet and wonderful. My husband and I made a promise to not over drink through the holidays and we kept it! Very wonderful to keep a promise and not be a lush! U see, the thing is..my father was an alcoholic for most of his life. He chose alcohol over me for most of my life and it would be senseless if I did the same...Alcohol is a big depressant. You are fine and dandy one moment and the next day you are feeling at your lowest. For me, it is magnfied ten times. I do not need anything else making me feel like shit...I can do that all on my own...HA. And for me, the act of drinking that much and then realizing the next day, gives me more anxiety, because it makes me feel inadequate to cope with the dailty stresses. We are really trying to avoid binge drinking for the most part. We are both trying to be more health conscious of it all...Amongst hispanics, alcoholism is ranked one of the highest health problems amongst this cutlure...I can see how the lifestyle, the culture does not help. Big part of our holidays celebration include alcohol..Not always, but often. I refuse to make it a habit. Moreover, as a nurse, honestly liver cihrrosis is one of the most horrible deaths there is. Liver failure from cihrrosis is painful and gruesome. The death is prolonged and sad. I've taken care of ppl with liver failture related to cihrrosis and let me tell you it is NOT pretty. Plus, it gets old. Getting completely smashed gets old. Yes, a few drinks here and there is more fun than getting completely smashed and not remembering one bit. In fact, we stayed long enough to open presents and then we headed home and went to bed. I woke up feeling, nice and sober, without the need to reach for an ibuprofen. It felt great! My brother made it to xmas, and it was excited because he was projected to work. He was able to leave early and make it in time. It was nice having him there...the only person that was missing was my mother. I was wishing I could see her open presents with us...Christmas is always empty without her; I desperately try my best to give love so I don't feel the emptiness from her passing...She was the most wonderful role model when it came to love and giving; a truly selfless love! Hoping this day outstreches as long as possible before I have to return to work tommorow! The calm before the Hell! P.S. Not like I know hell anyway...

No comments: